Sunday, March 28, 2010

The end of MasterPeace

I flipped the switches...one by one, down the long column...and in response, each row of lights in the theatre flicked off. With one leg hooked around the doorframe, hanging into the funny little room with all the breakers for the theatre, I shut down the lights as I've done so, so many times before. Most nights of rehearsal and performance, this is my job. Except I went much slower tonight, because this time, I realized, would probably be the last. The finality hit me in that moment, and I got a little nostalgic.

Tonight, an end of a (short) era for me. I've been working with MasterPeace Productions and Laney since the summer show last year, 2009, and tonight was our last show. Laney is leaving employment with the church (First Baptist Church of Scottsdale) to do something else, and that most likely means that MasterPeace will be no more. Even if someone else does take over, its uncertain that I'd continue, so at this point I'm saying goodbye.

This show (Cheaper by the Dozen), has been an interesting learning and growing experience for me...12 kids is a lot, regardless if you have experience handling kids or not. I do not. So that was an interesting thing...learning how to motivate kids - and adults alike. God has been teaching me things about relationships at the same time this has been going, so it's been quite the stretching exercise.

Not too much more to say at the moment. I'll be taking a short break and have the next few months sketched out as far as next projects, but mostly they involve travel.

I'm supposed to attend a week-long training class in San Francisco in April, assuming my company will send me. Attached to that trip, I should be spending the prior weekend with my best friend Amanda in nearby Santa Cruz. And sometime in April I'm going to visit pregnant best friend Teesha in San Diego for the weekend.

May...church weekend trip to Lost Canyon with a bunch of other church young adult groups...looks like it'll be an awesome time.

June brings a 10-day trip home to VA for my sister Grace's wedding. It's 2 days before my birthday, and I fly out the day after. Oh, and on that note, I've decided no more big birthday parties...the big three-oh last year was the last one...

July...err...do I have anything scheduled yet?

August...Teesha's baby is due, and in her mind, she thinks she's gonna call me when she goes into labor, I'm going to hop in a plane, and be there for the birth. She's always had this idea, even before she got pregnant. I dunno how it'll work, but we'll see!

Somewhere in there we'll be doing some major film stuff with VerticalBlu, and I'll probably be doing a lot of church volunteer projects, and wedding stuff with Grace. So I guess I'll hold off on committing to any new theatre stuff till after August, huh...

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment